Wednesday, November 2, 2011

"Mile High" Banana Bread

After moving to a higher altitude I was a little worried about baking but so far, so good. During the frequent snow days here in Colorado, I've enjoyed making crock pot meals and baking. I thought I would share this recipe for banana bread that I nicknamed, 'mile high'. I just had to. =)
I bought a new type of flour called, High Altitude, Hungarian Flour. The story goes like this:

"In 1875, J,K. Mullen brought the "Hungarian Patent" process to the high country of Colorado. His was the first "Hungarian" flour west of the Mississippi. By using his exclusive milling process with the hard wheats from the hardy wheat country of Colorado, the Dakotas and Montana, Mullen produced the finest bread baking flour ever available. This has long been and still is the finest flour you can buy for superior bread baking flavor and quality."


Now here is the recipe for the banana bread. You don't have to use 'Hungarian Flour' for it to turn out super yummy! Give it a try sometime.

Mile High Banana Bread

1/3 cup butter
3/4 cup granulated sugar
2 eggs
1 teaspoon vanilla
1-3/4 cups flour
1 cup of chopped walnuts
1 teaspoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
3-4 ripe mashed bananas

Preheat oven to 350
In a large bowl, cream together butter and sugar; add eggs and vanilla extract and beat well. Sift together flour, baking powder, salt and baking soda and add to creamed mixture; stir until mixed. Stir in bananas and nuts, blending well. 

Pour into well greased 9x5x3 inch loaf pan, bake at 350 for about 50 minutes, or until done. Remove from pan; cool on rack. Wrap and store overnight. 

4 comments:

LeAnn-The Modest Homestead said...

Looks great! I'd love to get some of your crock pot recipes also! I'm always looking for those since they are great time savers.

Blankenship said...

Sure thing! I've found a ton on pinterest. I'll send them your way. =)

LeAnn-The Modest Homestead said...

You have been awarded the Liebster blog award! Please see it here: http://themodesthomestead.blogspot.com/2011/11/liebster-blog-award.html

Luna Moth said...

I reduce the sugar to a 1/2 cup, and throw in a little cinnamon. If I'm baking it for the grandkids, I use mini chocolate chips instead of nuts.